Tuesday, October 10, 2017

BAA Half Marathon 2017

There's nothing holding me back...
There's nothing holding me back...

{There's Nothing Holding Me Back -- Shawn Mendes}

So...that was AMAZING.

Half-marathon number two is in the books.

After 12 weeks of training I knew I was ready. I woke up in a great mind set (with a natural dose of jitters). I had a goal and hoped I'd achieve it, but told myself it was about running and finishing strong - nothing else.

Last year I had to contend with a torrential downpour...this year warm-ish and muggy, but I just focused on the goal and refused to let that get to me!

I've found that every race I run I detest mile 1...I just need time to find my groove and low and behold by mile 2 I was in a good place - pace, mind set, breathing. Then he miles really went by quickly. Jenny was there cheering me on around 4.75 miles in and my mom was at mile 5. It was great to see friendly faces in the crowd as the heat began to wear me down(and get a new water bottle from my mom).

I adjusted my nutrition plan around mile 6.5 when I felt myself dehydrating in the heat. I caught it early and recovered without any effects. By mile 8 I knew I was doing it and really let myself just run and have fun.

In general it was just great to have a crowd this year! Last year it was so wet there were stretches where it was just wet and alone. You train and train alone, and there is something rewarding to hearing people cheer your name and say "you've got this."

Miles 9-11 were FAST. The caffeine in my Clif gel kicked in and I felt like I could just go and go and go. Of course...it began to rain around 10.5 miles in. I just laughed. It felt good to cool off, but clearly I need to do half marathons in the rain!

At mile 12 as we entered the zoo I just took off. I let whatever was left in my tank just power me through. As I approached the stadium I realized how hard I was pushing. But I didn't let up. I entered the stadium...saw mom in the stands and crossed that finish line with a HUGE smile on my face (and yes...in the rain!).

Since I completed the distance medley this year - 5k, 10k, and the half there were two medals waiting for me! Never been so proud to have that hardware around my neck.

Official time was 2:07:35. 14 minutes faster than last year!! 330/880 in my age division. 1324/3360 out of the female field. 3117/6331 overall. This brought my racing year to a close. 4 races. Tons of hard work, but so so so so worth it.

We shall see what is next!

Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

10 thoughts on the matter:

Tom said... {Reply}

...I'm glad top hear the 'Nothing is Holding You Back,'

Bekah said... {Reply}

This is just incredible!! I am so glad you smashed your record and had a great run, even if you had to finish in the rain! So inspirational!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

This is amazing! I can hear the excitement and pride in your words!! You are AWESOME!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Great job! I admire runners like you!

NCSue said... {Reply}

Congratulations on your achievement!
Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/10/beauty-on-wing.html

NanaHood said... {Reply}

Awesome! Keep going and going and going! You go girl!

Linda said... {Reply}

Yay! Good for you!

Ida said... {Reply}

What a great feeling that had to have been. Way to go!!!

Claire Justine said... {Reply}

Oh wow, great work Tamar. That is amazing how much time you knocked off last years time too :) thanks for sharing at The Wednesday blog hop.

likeschocolate said... {Reply}

Congratulations! Glad you had a good race!