Thursday, October 19, 2017

Pill Boxes in the Classroom

Part of the fun of teaching using math centers is coming up with the centers themselves. 

Our first unit has been place value and number sense. I needed a fun center to allow students to generate a four digit number and then determine the value of a certain digit. Part of reinforcing that in the number: 4,501 the 5 isn't just 5 but 500. 

I had the aha moment a few years ago to use pill boxes as a means to hold dice. It has been a HIT each year!
This is what students would find at the center. A 7 day a week pill box. I put 4 10-sided dice into four of the days. The students simply shook the box gently to "roll" their number.
They then wrote the number down on their recording sheet.
For each number they rolled, one digit was boxed. They had to determine the value of the boxed digit.
Most kiddos caught on super quick. Others needed a tiny bit of help and off they went. 
This center was such a hit and is totally adaptable. You can make up to a 7 digit number, or smaller. The kids loved being able to shake up the box and were chomping at the bit to get to this center in the rotation. Plus, the came away solid in the skill. Win, win! 
   
   
Come link up and join...
the Good.Random.Fun. each Monday and Little Things Thursday...right here!

17 thoughts on the matter:

Claire Justine said... {Reply}

This is a great idea Tamar :) Thaks for hosting.

Shelbee on the Edge said... {Reply}

Tamar, that is such a genius idea to teach those values! My kids (ages 4 and 6) are both completely obsessed with all things math including the abstract concepts of it. I may have to try this at home. They would probably love it!

Shelbee
www.shelbeeontheedge.com

Tom said... {Reply}

...a bit different from when I was in school.

Bekah said... {Reply}

Can we just go back to when I was failing elementary math and let you teach me??

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said... {Reply}

What an awesome idea! I bet it is a lot of fun for them too!!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said... {Reply}

Very fun teaching idea!

Klara S said... {Reply}

WOW, what a wonderful idea with pill boxes. And so much fun.

aspiritofsimplicity said... {Reply}

If I was a kid again I would want you for a teacher. You always find a way to make learning fun.

Gina Kleinworth said... {Reply}

Soooo cool & I have never seen 10 sided dice before! Now I'm on a mission to get some!

Anonymous said... {Reply}

That is such a great idea!! We homeschool and my daughters have already passed this point in math, but I've put a reminder in my notes to do this with my son when he starts school. Thank you for sharing! :-)

csuhpat1 said... {Reply}

Very nice. I might have to use it with some of my students who are low in their skills. Thanks for sharing this.

Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful weekend.

Jill Foley said... {Reply}

What a great idea! I would have loved to have known about this a couple years ago...I'll pass this idea on to my homeschooling friends! You are so creative and I can tell you are an amazing teacher.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said... {Reply}

Making math fun is the best way to teach it. I will have to try this with my grandchildren

likeschocolate said... {Reply}

What a fun idea! Glad they had so much fun! Learning should be that way!

Unknown said... {Reply}

What a great idea! I homeschool a 3rd grader and this would be perfect for quick place value reviews. I think even my 1st grader would get it too. Thanks!

Jeanna said... {Reply}

I think you and the kids are a lot smarter than I ever was at math. A fun, creative learning tool.

Jill Harrison said... {Reply}

What a fabulous use for pill boxes! Have a fabulous weekend ahead and thank you for the link-up.